Dr. Jason Shafrin is the founder, editor, and chief writer of Healthcare Economist
Jason is a Vice President at PRECISIONheor in Los Angeles. The opinions expressed on this blog are only Jason’s and do not represent the opinions of PRECISIONheor in any way.
Jason’s research interests include all issues related to healthcare policy and economics, value-based purchasing, the health insurance market, and Medicare policy research. For up to date information regarding Jason’s most recent research and contact information, please visit his homepage. You can view his published work on his Google Scholar page. Jason’s research has been published in a variety of peer-reviewed journals including BMJ Open, JAMA, Health Affairs, Health Economics, Health Services Research, and Value in Health, among others. Dr. Shafrin has been interviewed by AMCP, National Public Ratio (NPR) and the Washington Times. In the popular media, he has written articles for Forbes, the Health Affairs blog, STAT News, U.S. News and World Report, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal among others.
- Vice President of Health Economics at PRECISIONheor (2013-present)
- Innovation and Value Initiative Director of Research (2016-2018), Scientific Advisor (2019)
- Policy Lead at Acumen, LLC (2009-2013)
- Ph.D. in Economics from the University of California-San Diego (UCSD) in 2009.
- B.S. and B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania in 2002. Received a B.S. of Economics from the Wharton School in Business and Public Policy as well as a B.A. from the School of Arts and Sciences in Spanish.
- Jason enjoys travel has traveled to the following countries: Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Egypt, El Salvador, England, France, Germany, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- While Jason is an impartial researcher when investigating health care economics issues, he is biased when it comes to one issue: sports. Jason is a passionate Wisconsin sports fans, avidly supporting the Brewers, Bucks, and Packers.