Media appearance & Cited in the news
- In The Economist as one of the top 94 online influencers on the debate about Obama’s healthcare reform (9 September 2009).
- Cited in the New York Times for co-authored work with Uri Gneezy (11 June 2010)
- Radio Appearance on National Public Radio Here & Now to discuss “Premium Price Surges Raise Questions About Obamacare’s Future” (December 31, 2016).
- Television Appearance on Al Jazeera English News, (19 August 2008, 7:35 PST)
- On Slate as one of the ‘Need to know Websites’ for Healthcare Reform (1 Sept 2009).
- Quoted in Healthcare Dive (“How payers are tackling value-based drug pricing“, 26 October 2016)
- Quoted in Monocle Magazine, (“The Curse of Care”, Feb 2011, p. 58).
- Radio Appearance with Rick Outzen during the “I’s N Your Head Radio” show on Pensacola, Florida’s 1620 WNRP (23 October 2007).
Top blog accolades
- Intelligent Economist Top 100 economics blogs of 2018.
- Cavalcade of Risk Editor’s Pick #1 Blog Post.
- Profiled on the Money-Rx Blog on 15 October 2007.
- Ranked the #2 Specialized Economics Blog of 2006 by The Bayesian Heresy website.
- Top 3 Health Site as determined by the NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement.
- Ranked as one of the Top 15 Health blogs by Wikio.com.
- Ranked as one of the Top 50 Medical blogs of 2018 by Cables and Sensors.
- Ranked as one of the Top 40 Economics blogs by 26Econ.com.
- Ranked as one of the Top 40 Health blogs by Healthcare 100.
- One of the Top 50 Healthcare Policy Blogs in Nursing Assistant Guides.
- Ranked as one of the Top 100 Health Care blogs by RN Central.
- Ranked as one of the Top 100 Health Policy blogs by the Health Tech’s Blog.
- Ranked as one of the Top 100 Health blogs by Feedspot.
- Awarded the RHI Blog of the Week by Regulating Health Insurance.
- Named as one of the 2010 Top Healthcare Blogs by Medical Billing and Coding.
- One of the Top 30 Public Health Blogs by Masters in Public Health Degrees.
- Ranked as one of the Top 50 Blogs to Learn About Nationalized Healthcare at MasterOfHealthAdministration.com.
- Received a “Very Good” rating according to Blogged.com.
Comments about the blog
Cited in the Nov/Dec 2007 edition of Contingencies. Joe Paduda’s article (“Health Care Reform, Ready or Not“) in the American Academy of Actuaries magazine, Contingencies, cites statements made on this blog.
“Jason Shafrin probably isn’t the wealthiest health care blogger, but…[he]…may be the smartest.”
- Robert Laszewski “Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review,” 10 January 2008
“Jason’s blog is quite good; heavy on the policy side (no surprise there) with several excellent summaries of data-rich topics such as price elasticity of employer-based health insurance. I recommend it to fellow policy wonks.”
- – Joseph Paduda, “Managed Care Matters” Blog, 2 March 2006
“…Jason Shafrin, at the Healthcare Economist has a just excellent article about why P4P isn’t enough and implicitly why we need budget and supply constraints to get health care costs under control.”
“I recently stumbled onto e-utopia for fellow nerds seeking thought provoking tidbits on healthcare policy, the health insurance market and economics. The Healthcare Economist https://healthcare-economist.com/ has the tag line ‘An unbiased look at today’s health care issues’ but I prefer ‘The make Jessica think without overwhelming her blog’ – one cannot find enough such places in life.”
“Hat tip to Jason Shafrin, who has a very good blog.”
“Jason Shafrin always asks great questions and provides even better answers at ‘Healthcare Economist.‘”